Hello Lovely! While there are a million other items on my mind this week, it’s also been nearly two months since I started staying home full-time. Before mommy brain completely takes over I wanted to share my top five places to grab a bite when I was working downtown. There is a heavy emphasis on seafood and fine dining in the area but I did include a couple more casual options on my list so there is a little something for anyone in the area.
1. Noble South– I know I’ve mentioned this one before but it remains at the top of my list. Noble South is one of the few restaurants in this area that I truly believe does Southern cuisine right. They change the menu up to reflect the local crop for a nice farm-to-table aspect, which is the way everyone in the South used to eat. They also never leave a traditional recipe as is, expect to get a new twist on whatever you think you’ve ordered, either flavor or presentation wise. Either way, I promise you will not be disappointed!
2. Foy Superfoods– For lunch I think this restaurant is perfect to grab a healthy bite. First, the acai bowl is absolutely ridiculous! I’ve eaten a decent amount of acai bowls ever since my first trip to Hawaii a couple of years ago. None of the bowls outside of Hawaii have been worth mentioning until now and I’m just as surprised as you to be saying this bowl is in Mobile. Don’t ask me what it is but this is a surprisingly good bowl and definitely something you don’t want to miss if you get the chance! The super bowls and avocado toast are also all good pick me ups (I love the Southwest bowl).
3. Dauphin’s– Excellent fresh seafood (think ceviche and today’s local catch) with a view that overlooks the entire city. Need I say more?
4. Pizzeria Delphina– I have eaten a good amount of pizza in my day. I should also disclose this has made me slightly particular about any pizza, sauce, crust and toppings. Honestly I was completely taken back when I took my first bite at Pizzeria Delphina. The crust has a nice chew to it and the sauce has a bright tomato flavor. These days it’s rare to get a clear tomato flavor in any pizza sauce amongst all the herbs and add-ins. Needless to say I believe its the best spot in Downtown Mobile if you’re looking to grab a good slice of pizza!
5. Von’s Bistro– Ramen Wednesday… Shrimp and Pork Belly Ramen. Again I feel you should’t really need any other details but just in case: Von’s is a Southern Asian fusion restaurant with a heavy emphasis on local seafood (I told you that’s a bit of a trend in this area). It is definitely worth a visit for lunch or dinner while you’re in the area.
While it may not be where I spend most of my time these days, the Mobile half of the bay definitely has its charms and Downtown Mobile is a highlight. If you find yourself over that direction be sure to stop into any of these restaurants for a little Southern hospitality and some truly good eats!